Welcome to 8th Grade Band!
Mark your calendar! The Spring Concert is Monday, June 3rd at 7:30 p.m. in the Weber Auditorium!
Questions regarding 8th grade band: Miss Andrew, email@example.com
Questions regarding 7th grade band: Mr. Beiersdorfer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions regarding 6th grade band: Mr. Cherry, email@example.com
***Please make sure your child's instrument is well labeled. Do not rely on past labels. Many instruments state a child's first name only and the elementary school they attended! Many instrument tags have fallen off! Many students rely on their own knowledge of what their instrument case looks like, which does not help when an instrument is left on a bus, etc.***
September 2018: Students in "A" day band will start using instruments in class on Friday. September 7th. Students in "B" day band will start using instruments in class on Wednesday, September 12th. Note that school is not in session on September 10th and 11th.
Please keep in mind that many schools and multiple school districts rent instruments from the same few stores. I recommend renting an instrument at the end of August/first week of September.
Tips for Getting Started
* Percussion students need to carry their own drum sticks and mallets to and from each band class. A "stick bag" is recommended.
* Saxophone/clarinet students should have a new box of reeds (Rico, size 2.5)
* Trumpet students need to put a drop of valve oil into the bottom hole of each valve before bringing their trumpet to school. Valve oil should be kept in each student's case!
* Students should have a music stand at home (a $15 music stand is perfect!) and a place to practice at home.
* 6th, 7th, and 8th grade band students use the same book: Essential Elements Interactive, book 1.
* All students have a portnet google account. In September, students will be "invited" to the 8th grade band class. Using google classroom, students will be able to submit their playing assignments (students will record themselves playing).