New York State Education Department requires each school district to perform certain screenings to promote good health for the students. Listed below are the screenings that will take place during the school year. Children will miss approximately 5 minutes of class time for the screenings. They are as follows:
- Distance and near acuity for all newly entering students and students in Pre-K or Kindergarten, Grades 1, 3, 5, 7, and 11.
- Color perception screening for all newly entering students.
- Hearing screening for all newly entering students and students in Pre-K or Kindergarten, Grades 1, 3, 5, 7, and 11.
- Scoliosis (spinal curvature) screening for all girls in grades 5 and 7, and boys in grade 9.
- Female students are encouraged to wear a sports bra or bathing suit for this screening.
- Every effort will be made to inform the children ahead of time. Should a student not be aware of the screening, all girls are welcomed to return on another day wearing a bathing suit top or sports bra.
- A child or parent may refuse the screening at any time
- A physical examination including Body Mass Index and Weight Status Category Information is required for all newly entering students and students in Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten, Grades 1, 3 ,5, 7, 9 and 11.
- A dental certificate is requested for all newly entering students and students in Kindergarten, Grades 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11.
A letter will be sent home if there are any positive findings on the screening done at school that would cause concern or need medical follow-up. Please call the school’s Health Office if you have any questions or concerns. Please notify the Nurse if you have any concerns about these screenings.